Wednesday 22 September 2010

How to choose a theme for your wedding

I have to confess, I did get stressed in the months leading up to my wedding!!! I was a little like a deer in headlights.....frozen, I could see the wedding coming closer and closer, yet I couldn't get myself to make a start on the items that needed my attention! Ok, let's not get completely carried away, of course I had secured the date, ceremony, reception, food and drink, entertainment and accommodation, however it was all down to the "look". So how do you choose a "look" or theme for your wedding, there are thousands of options out there, trends, ideas, colors, how do you get your thoughts in order and make a decision?

  • Firstly do get some inspiration but not too much! I suggest a couple of wedding magazines and a couple of wedding blogs is enough, look at the trends, other people's weddings as inspiration, you then have to make it your own entirely by adding personal touches. 
  • I am a minimal person, my house is off white with clean lines, I like coordinated outfits, I can't do 7 colors, I like 1-2 and on a bad day perhaps 3. So I would have expected to go for a very clean lined white wedding! The idea of going vintage came when I picked the church, as soon as I saw it I knew I had to have the ceremony there it was unique, it had never been used for any ceremony before and it was very "us".
  • Allow your venue to guide your choices, this is the most important factor of your decision, don't try and do rustic somewhere modern or vice versa, if you're working with a blank canvas setting, add a little color and lighting, and hey presto!
  • So how do you know when enough is enough??? I think I had trouble with this element, I didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount on decorating nor did I want anything too sparce, the big issue is that you can't really have a trial run, so everything is a vision and concept until you see it set up. The great thing is it always looks better than I had imagined, sparkly lights, candles, flowers look spectacular under the stars!
All in all, pay attention to details but don't get carried away, go for a happy medium and have faith in the final result, it truly does pay off!!!

No comments: